Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What would you tell your 10 year older self?

I recently read an article in Self magazine by a girl who is 29 found a letter she had written to herself 12 years earlier.  A high school project had her write a letter to herself to be opened 10 years later on who we wished to be and what advice to give ourselves.  Her letter stated:  "I know are you are going to be reading this 10 years from now...I am so insecure with myself...I hope 10 years from now I am really proud of myself, because I am not proud of myself now...Love yourself, respect yourself, stand up for yourself and don't let people push you around because I let people do it to me now.  Please, please, I hope I am secure and self-assured 10 years from now."  She then goes on to say that she is in the same spot she was 12 years ago when she wrote it...

Sadly I felt like I could truly connect with the author.  However, I think I was more self-assured at 17 then I am now.  Not by much, but definitely more than I am now.  Why?  What happened?  At least I thought I knew what I wanted to do when I was younger.  I remember saying in high school how I wanted to be a guidance counselor.  But I remember back in my day you had to teach before being able to become a guidance counselor.  So I slowly moved away from that.  In college I went on to major in psychology, because it interested me, and was a major where you didn't have to do a lot of public speaking (I hated public speaking.  Still not the biggest fan, but at least I can fake it much better now.).  I remember this one course I had my senior year, some sort of career preparedness class and the professor asking me what I planned on doing after graduation, and I remember saying "human resources assistant".  Now ten years later I look back and say why didn't I follow either of those two things?  I could have done a school counseling degree instead of attempting higher education administration, but no.  And in my daily job search what I am I looking up, positions in human resources.

I just feel like I am more lost then ever, sad and empty.  Somehow I keep getting these jobs that are extremely technical in nature.  The newest one is nothing but testing, troubleshooting, and dealing with problems with the student information system.  Some people love that....I am not one of those people.  I have gone so far in a different direction then I wanted to go.  I honestly don't know how to get back on track.  I want to somewhat enjoy what I am doing, or at least not have to lose sleep on how to do it.

So what would I tell my my 10 year older self right now?  Well right at this moment, I would tell her that so far being in your 30's sucks.  Everyone says you find yourself in your 30's.  Nope, not I, I have gone down a path more lost then ever.  Now is the time you should know what you want and get better at it.  Settle down and start that family (many have already started that years ago).  I am so far behind in so many things.  Am I ever going to get ahead?

1 comment:

  1. I did that project my senior year too...I wonder if I ever got the letter (I moved) - and don't remember. No doubt I was slightly disappointed with my projections of where I wanted to be when I was 27. Maybe I will write a new letter now and read it in 10 years; weekend project.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I would love to know what you think!