Monday, June 11, 2012

And another one bites the dust

So another one of my coworkers has given her notice.  Since I have been there the course of 16 months, four professional staff have either gone to other offices or have left the college, and 2 support staff have left either requesting another department, or leaving the place entirely.

We have hired 3 new professional staff within the last month.  The one that I worked with closely when he started told me this is not what he was expecting and thought he might not actually come back the second day.  One of the other new counselors I overheard her in the break room with her fiancee saying she has applied to positions at other places already.

When my commiserating buddy told me she was giving her notice I was devastated, but not surprised.  She hated it as much as I do from the moment she got here.  She would tell me how much she would dread coming to work, how as soon as she got to work she would just wish for the day to end...the exact way I feel.  That is not a way to live.

I recently have received a promotion and an office, which many would think would remedy the situation.  It has just caused me added responsibilities of being the technical person of the office (of which I am not that technical).  I am not running a system that we barely received any training on, and now I have to create workflows a basically create all means of communications coming out of our office.  If this happens, this will trigger that email, however if this happens, they get another email instead...all automated...and to ensure they receive the correct email.  I got the basics down, but the stuff that is coming my way, is VERY advanced.  Way over my skill set.  I am feeling even more uncomfortable that I have in the past.

I want to be happy.  Life is too short to spend a majority of your day wishing it was over.  There has to be happiness out there for me somewhere.  I keep chasing happiness and keep ending up in worse situation than I was in before.  It is pretty hard to explain on interviews, that you make one bad choice after another.  I guess I have to suck it up for now...but seeing the track record of the office and the length of how long people actually stay reassures me that it ISN'T me...but unfortunately doesn't help my overall being.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I would love to know what you think!