Wednesday, October 20, 2010

You're on the air....

Have you ever called in on a radio station?  I used to a long time ago for music requests, etc. but the lines were always busy.  I haven't called a station lately, until just recently.  As I mention I listen to NJ 101.5 on the commute home from work.  On Friday's, on my way to pick up my mom to bring her back to our house on the weekends, the Jersey Guys do a music contest during the 6 o'clock hour.  The last few weeks they have been drawing from Casey's iPod, and sadly, we have similar music tastes.   I was thinking the last few weeks, let me try to call in and see if I can win some loot.  Two weeks ago I tried endlessly calling but constantly getting a busy signal (I don't remember what they were giving away, but that could have been the reason).  Sometimes they give concert tickets, other times giftcards.  This past week they were giving away "dinner and a movie".  It was tickets for the NJ opening of "The Soprano State"; a documentary on the state's corruption from the "third" Jersey Guy, Bob Ingle.  Also a $25 gift card to Sonic Drivein.  I diligently called over and over again until I got the ringing sound on the other end of the phone.  I wasn't sure what to say when they picked up.  But on the other end was NJ101.5.  I was like "This is KIM from ******!!!!!"  I think I was so excited to get through.  I had my radio down which I knew to do since if you have the radio on in the background it messes with the call.  They asked me my age and put me on hold.  There was a lot of talking going on.  I wasn't sure if they were talking to me, or if it was just background noise.  It seems like they were practicing playing songs for me to guess, but i couldn't hear very well at all.  It was all very muffled.  I was getting nervous because what if it sounded like that if I got on air and I couldn't hear.  I would make a total a** of myself on radio.  All I could hear was don't let them give you a hard time.   Then all of a sudden what is on the radio is what I am listening to on the phone.  Which was a relief because I was wondering, if I can't listen to the radio, how the heck will I know what is going on!?

All of a sudden they come back from commercial and say lets go to Kim in ******.  I was like oh gosh, don't screw up.  After they asked me if I was ready to play, they played the song....it was an 80's song, and I have really gotten rusty when it comes to 80's music.  After hearing the first part of the song, they asked me if I knew it...and I heard it but I couldn't place it.  Then I was like something ecstasy???? (then I realize did I just say ecstasy on the radio???) and Casey was like no, but I like where you are going with this.....Casey is pretty much a jerk on the radio and I was a little intimidated as he pretty much ridicules anyone who calls.  He really coached me on trying to get the answer.  He was like what do you sometimes do when you sleep???? I said "DREAM!!" and he is like yes, lets go with that......and then what sometimes happens to those dreams....and well that didn't help me.  Then he is like, "ok, what happens if I were to throw something and it broke" and I was like SHATTERED!! SHATTERED DREAMS! and yes I finally got it!!! :)  Casey said he worked awfully hard for me to win.  But I did (I think the reason was they needed winners cause they want as many people as possible to this opening).  After they put me on with the prize people on the station where I gave my info and was told all the details about showing up for the movie that is today!

What sucks is that where I work, there are three people in my immediate department.  One of them has already called out being out this afternoon.  Which leaves two, and our department manager disapproves leaving only one person in the office (even though all three of us do different things).  And there were PLENTY of times when I first started when I was left by myself.  So suffice it to say, I am not sure when I will get to the movie tonight, as I would have liked to gotten there a lot earlier as they will be broadcasting their show at the theater from 2-7 before the movie premiere.  I would definitely think that would be fun, but of course this place hangs it's ugly cloud on me trying to do something fun and spontaneous.  I will give a review of the movie and happenings if I am able to get out of here on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I would love to know what you think!